The curriculum change process encompasses all the steps necessary so that you receive a different curriculum from the standard curriculum.
This particularly applies to:
- Stays abroad, during which alternative courses are used.
- Taking modules in an elective field outside of the elective catalogue in order to create an individual academic profile
- Taking modules outside of the course of study in preparation for changing a course of study.
- (For students in the business administration and engineering course of study with a specialization in mechanical engineering: taking Master's modules in advance)
Brief Overview of a Curriculum Change
- Submission of a request in the request database
- Collecting all necessary signatures
- Submission of the complete request to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering
- Formal review (time scope) by the Faculty
- Review of content by respective lecturers
- Compilation of exam results by the examination board
- Return of proposal to student
- Personal application in the ZPA to take exams with the approved request/at the foreign university
Typical processing duration: 2 to 4 weeks
Note: You must submit the request before taking exams! The last requested status for each module is considered when receiving credit for academic work completed through a curriculum change request. Modules, in which you have already completed an exam, cannot be removed from the curriculum or replaced.
Requests are submitted via the form Request for internal Curriculum Change
The signed form is submitted to the respective examination board with all of the required signatures:
- Signature of the occupational field advisor/Master's supervisor
- (For students in the business administration and engineering course of study with a specialization in mechanical engineering: Your economic supervisor can submit their approval via email. Please include the email in your request.)
Note: Your request cannot be processed if signatures or documentation are missing.
You can submit the materials
- in person to departmental advising
- in the red letter box in the entryway of departmental advising
- via mail
The occupational field advisor/Master's supervisor reviews
- whether a sufficiently similar module to the requested external module exists in the student's curriculum.
- If this is the case, the student has the lecturer of the RWTH module sign the process slip.
- If there is no module in the curriculum that is sufficiently similar, the occupational field advisor/Master's supervisor reviews, whether the external module can nevertheless be integrated into the curriculum.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering reviews the formal equivalence of the time commitment of the academic work completed outside of the curriculum.
The review of business and economics modules is carried out bythe mentor of the respective business and economics specialization.
The respective examination board then reviews the request a final time. After your request has been processed, you will receive the processed form in the mail at the address provided.
After you complete the external modules, please submit the original copy of your transcript of records and the final page of the curriculum change filled out to the examination board. The examination board will issue a notice of accreditation and inform the ZPA of the accreditation.