The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering enables its students a study abroad at the prestigious Zhejiang University in the People’s Republic of China within the framework of an agreement. The exchange is limited to five students (Bachelor and Master level) per academic year. Zhejiang University is one of the oldest and best universities in the People’s Republic of China. It is situated in the city of Hangzhou on the East Coast of the country. Further information about the university as well as course offers can be found online.
Frequently asked questions
Which requirements do I have to fulfill for an application?
- At least 3rd (Bachelor) semester during the application period
- English language certificate:
- German University Entrance Qualification (Abitur): at least 6 years of English
- Language test of the RWTH Arts and Humanities Language Center (at least B2 level in all components)
- IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, TOEFL
Which application documents have to be submitted to the Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
- Letter of motivation in English (1-2 pages)
- Curriculum vita in English
- Transcript of Records in English (issued by the Central Examination Office)
- English: at least B2 level
- Rudimentary knowledge of Chinese is recommended (not obligatory though)
- Master students: letter of recommendation of a professor in English (can be submitted later)
- Learning Agreement
What are the evaluation criteria of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
The core of your application is your letter of motivation. In this you answer the question how the semester abroad can be integrated into your study curriculum. Why do you want to study at ZJU? Which courses would you like to participate in? How would you like to have those accredited? Indicate that you thought about integrating academic performances from abroad into your local curriculum. Of course, you can supplement your motivation with an enthusiasm for the target country, the language, the university town etc. Also very individual motivation reasons which supplement your study plans (e.g. interest in a sports club, student club on the campus of the host university) can be specified. Voluntary work is rewarded with an extra point.
Additionally, the following criteria of the host university should be noted:
- Grade Point Average of 2.3 or better
How does the application process work?
You apply until…
- …January 15th each year for a study abroad in fall (1-2 semesters).
- …May 15th for a study abroad in spring (in case there are spaces available) (1 semester).
The semester times at ZJU differ from those in Aachen – please pay attention to this regarding your exam plans, especially in the semester prior to your study abroad. The mentoring team is happy to assist you with your study organization:
- winter semester: September until January
- summer semester: February until June
Please submit your application dossier, in PDF-format and via e-mail, to the Office for International Relations of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (email@example.com). Please note that we will not consider incomplete documents.
After checking your application (approx. 2-3 weeks) you will be informed in written form of your nomination by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering; your application documents will then be forwarded to ZJU. At the same time you will have to register at the partner university – ZJU will make the final decision. Please note: For Master students, the letter of recommendation is obligatory until registration deadline at ZJU (June 15th resp. Dec 15th)!
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will gladly assist you in case you have questions to these formalities.
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will assist you with further information.