Northwestern Polytechnical University (NPU) - China
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering makes it possible for its students to complete a stay in the People's Republic of China within the framework of a collaboration with NPU. The university is situated in the centrally located city of Xi'an. Exchange is limited to five Bachelor's or Master's students per academic year and is possible for one to two semesters.
Northwestern Polytechnical University is the only university in China focusing on the development of aerospace engineering and ship engineering. It also has faculties of economics and arts and humanities. The university receives privileged fundng from the Chinese government through Project 211 and Project 985.
The academic year at Northwestern Polytechnical University begins in September. The second semester begins after the holidays for the Chinese New Year in February.
You can find further information about the university and the courses offered on the following webpages.
All RWTH exchange students receive a Chinese scholarship covering accommodations and health insurance.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
What prerequisites do I need to fulfill to apply?
- in at least the third core semester of Bachelor's studies when applying
- good academic performance
- at the least good Englisch skills
Proof of English skills:
- Abitur certificate: at least 6 years
- Language test from the RWTH Aachen Language Center – at least B2 in all components
- IELTS – at least a 6, Cambridge Certificate, TOEFL – minimum grade 80
What application documents do I need to upload to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering's outgoing applicant platform?
Your motivational letter and your study plan should be entered in the respective fields on the online application platform. A Learning Agreement is not required.
In addition, please upload the following documents in PDF format:
- CV in German
- Transcript of grades in English (in CAMPUS Office or issued by the Central Examination Office )
- Proof of language skills:
- English: at least B2 level
- Rudimentary Chinese skills are recommended but are not absolutely necessary
What are the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering's evaluation criteria?
The core of your application is the statement of motivation. Herein you answer the question how the semester abroad will be integrated into your schedule and curriculum. Why do you want to attend NPU? What courses do you want to take there? What accreditation do you want for these courses? Indicate that you have thought about integrating study performances acquired abroad into your curriculum here. You are welcome to supplement your motivation with enthusiasm for the target country, language, university town, etc. You can also refer to individual reasons for your motivation that supplement your study goals, such as interest in a sports team or student group on the university campus. We award volunteer work with an additional point.
What is the application process?
You apply by
- January 15 to begin studies in the fall – option of one or two semesters – or to begin in the spring of the next year – one semester.
- April 15 to begin studies in the spring of the next year – one semester–, allocation of remaining placements
The semester dates at NPU differ from those in Aachen. Please pay attention when planning your exams, especially for the semester before you begin your stay. Our Mentoring Team is happy to help you organize your studies:
- Winter semester: September to January
- Summer semester: End of February to June
You upload your application documents to the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering's outgoing applicant platform. Incomplete documents cannot be considered.
After your application is renewed – this takes about four to six weeks – the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering notifies you of your nomination in writing; we then forward your application materials to NPU. After you are nominated you must contact the partner university, who makes the final decision.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering's Study Abroad Counselling is happy to help you with questions about the formalities and will inform you of how to proceed if you are nominated.
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering Study Abroad Counselling is happy to provide more information.