Zhejiang University - China
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering enables its students a study abroad at the prestigious Zhejiang University in the People’s Republic of China within the framework of an agreement. The exchange is limited to five students (Bachelor and Master level) per academic year. Zhejiang University is one of the oldest and best universities in the People’s Republic of China. It is situated in the city of Hangzhou on the East Coast of the country. Further information about the university as well as course offers can be found online.
Frequently asked questions
Which courses can I take at Zhejiang University?
With the following link you can find a list of courses at Zhejiang University.
Please note that we do not give any guarantee on the information found on the universities‘ websites.
Which services does the cooperation include?
Participation in the exchange program with Zhejiang University exempts you from paying any tuition fees for the partner university. Moreover you can apply for a scholarship (e.g. PROMOS scholarship).
Which requirements do I have to fulfill for an application?
- At least 3rd (Bachelor) semester during the application period
- good academic performance
- English language certificate:
- German University Entrance Qualification (Abitur): at least 6 years of English
- Language test of the RWTH Arts and Humanities Language Center (at least B2 level in all components)
- IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, TOEFL
Which application documents have to be submitted to the Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
Your motivational letter and your study plan (min. 30 CP) should be entered in the respective fields on the online application platform.
In addition, please upload the following documents in PDF format:
- CV in German
- Transcript of grades in English (in RWTHonline or issued by the Central Examination Office )
- Language requirements:
- English: at least B2 level
- Rudimentary knowledge of Chinese is recommended (not obligatory though)
- Master students: letter of recommendation of a professor in English (can be submitted later)
What are the evaluation criteria of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
The core of your application is the statement of motivation. In the statement, you need to explain how the semester abroad integrates into your curriculum. Why do you want to attend Zhejiang University? Which courses do you want to take there? Make it evident that you have thought about the integration of academics completed externally in your curriculum here.
You are welcome to supplement your statement with your enthusiasm for the country, language, university town, etc. You can also mention individual motivation outside of studies (e.g. interest in a sports group or student club on the host university campus). We award volunteer work with an additional point.
How does the application process work?
You apply until…
- …January 15th each year for a study abroad in fall (1-2 semesters).
- …May 15th for a study abroad in spring (in case there are spaces available) (1 semester).
The semester times at ZJU differ from those in Aachen – please pay attention to this regarding your exam plans, especially in the semester prior to your study abroad. The mentoring team is happy to assist you with your study organization:
- winter semester: September until January
- summer semester: February until June
Please submit your application dossier, in PDF-format and via e-mail, to the Office for International Relations of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (email@example.com). Please note that we will not consider incomplete documents.
After checking your application (approx. 2-3 weeks) you will be informed in written form of your nomination by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering; your application documents will then be forwarded to ZJU. At the same time you will have to register at the partner university – ZJU will make the final decision. Please note: For Master students, the letter of recommendation is obligatory until registration deadline at ZJU (June 15th resp. Dec 15th)!
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will gladly assist you in case you have questions to these formalities.
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will assist you with further information.