Yokohama National University (Joy Program) – Japan
The Faculty of Mechanical Engineering enables its students to participate in a cultural study abroad (Bachelor and Master level) at Yokohama National University (YNU) within the framework of an agreement. Within the “Joy Program” (Junior Year Overseas) at YNU students participate in courses of Japanese culture, language and history – technical courses are not intended in the curriculum – technical courses are not intended in the curriculum. The program is in English – except for language courses naturally; a minimum level of Japanese is beneficial, but it is not an obligatory requirement. The exchange is limited to three students (Undergraduate and Graduate Program) for either one or two semesters.
Frequently asked questions
Which courses can I take at Yokohama National University?
Which services does the cooperation include?
Participation in the Joy Program exempts you from paying any tuition fees for the partner university. Moreover you can apply for a scholarship (e.g. PROMOS scholarship).
Which requirements do I have to fulfill for an application?
- At least 3rd (Bachelor) semester during the application period
English language certificate:
- German University Entrance Qualification (Abitur): at least 6 years of English
- Language test of the RWTH Arts and Humanities Language Center (at least B2 level in all components)
IELTS, Cambridge Certificate, TOEFL
- A TOEFL test must in any case be provided after nomination through the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering (internet-based TOEFL: 80 points), see below
Which application documents have to be submitted to the Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering?
Your motivational letter and your study plan (min. 30 CP) should be entered in the respective fields on the online application platform.
In addition, please upload the following documents in PDF format:
- CV in German
- Transcript of grades in English (in RWTHonline or issued by the Central Examination Office )
- Transcript of Records in English (issued by the Central Examination Office)
- Language requirements (see below)
Which are the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering's evaluation criteria?
The core of your application is the statement of motivation. In the statement, you need to explain how the semester abroad integrates into your curriculum. Why do you want to attend Yokohama National University? Which courses do you want to take there? Make it evident that you have thought about the integration of academics completed externally in your curriculum here.
You are welcome to supplement your statement with your enthusiasm for the country, language, university town, etc. You can also mention individual motivation outside of studies (e.g. interest in a sports group or student club on the host university campus). We award volunteer work with an additional point.
How does the application process work?
You apply until…
- …January 31st each year for a study abroad in fall (1-2 semesters).
- …May 31st for a study abroad in spring (in case there are spaces available) (1 semester).
The semester dates at YNU are similar to those in Aachen:
- winter semester: October 1st – March 31st
- summer semester: April 1st – September 30th
The exchange program is limited to one student per academic year.
Please upload your application documents in PDF format to the respective application deadline on our application platform. Incomplete documents will not be considered.
You will be informed in written form of your nomination by the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering. Please note: afterwards you will apply at YNU (Apr 10th resp. Dec 10th). A TOEFL certificate or a the letter of recommendation, health certificate and a bank statement are obligatory!
The Exchange Office of the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering will assist you with further information.