Review of Admission Requirements
The Application for Assessment of Eligibility for Admission is not the same as the Application for Admission to the Doctoral Examination, pursuant to Section 12 of the examination regulations.
As explained in the overview of the doctoral studies process, you must submit a application for assessment of eligibility for admission within the second year of your doctoral studies, that is after the training period. You can find more information about the requirements for domestic or foreign university degrees in the doctoral studies regulation and here.
Please note that the application must be received in original by the Faculty's Office for Doctoral Studies no later than three weeks before the respective faculty council or council of elders meeting. The receipt stamp is considered the date of submission. You can find the dates of their meetings here.
When applying, please use only the form we provide. Be sure to also submit the following required documents:
- Supervision agreement
- Officially certified copies of certificates and diplomas - Diplom/Bachelor + Master (documents from RWTH Aachen University do not have to be certified - it is sufficient if they are submitted as originals)
- Resume with academic career
- Statistics for Doctoral Candidates
Are the documents listed above not in English or German? If so, our Office for Doctoral Studies needs the following:
- Legally attested copies of transcripts and certificates – Diplom/Bachelor + Master
- Legally attested copies of the translations. The translations must be completed by a sworn translator.
For Applicants from China, who have not completed a RWTH Master Degree:
You must also submit certificates confirming the authenticit of your documents. These are issued by Akademische Prüfstelle of the German Embassy in Beijing, APS for short. Officially notarized copies are not sufficient.