Transfer of Grades and CP


What do I have to do to get my grades accredited at RWTH Aachen University?

After your semester abroad has ended, you will receive an overview of your grades from your host university – the Transcript of Records. In order for your grades to be transferred to the Central Examination Office and entered in RWTHonline, please send your Transcript of Records as well as the form for handing in the transcript (Formblatt zum Einreichen des Transcripts) to the responsible examination board via e-mail. As soon as we have received those two documents, we will initiate the accreditation procedure – a corresponding letter will be sent to both you and the Central Examination Office after the accreditation has been processed, so that you do not have to take any further steps.

Can I retroactively change courses completed abroad which are already approved in a change of curriculum?

No. In general the following applies: All subjects, whose accreditation the Examination Board approved in the form you applied for (e.g. as a compulsory subject) and which are noted on your transcript of records by your host university, will be accredited. You can retrospectively add external modules to your certificate as additional modules or reassign external modules to additional modules that you have not previously applied for by changing your curriculum. You are also free not to have modules that have already been approved and successfully completed abroad recognised.

What happens if I do not participate in courses abroad after all or if I do not pass?

If you do not participate in a course (e.g. because it is cancelled due to a professor’s illness) contrary to your application for a change of curriculum, or if you do not pass the exam, the part concerning this course is deleted from your change of curriculum. You will neither be registered mandatorily for the original course at RWTH Aachen University which was supposed to be replaced, nor will the failed exam be taken into account as a failed attempt in terms of the local Examination Regulation.

Can I get study performances accredited afterwards?

An application for subsequent recognition is only possible for externally completed compulsory modules and elective modules that have a sufficiently similar module in your current course of study at RWTH. Elective modules that are not offered at RWTH Aachen University in your current course of study cannot be recognised retrospectively. If you are currently in the Bachelor's programme and wish to have externally completed modules for a Master's programme recognised after passing the corresponding examinations, the subsequent recognition process should only begin once you have enrolled in the corresponding Master's programme.

We strongly recommend that you always use the previous study plan change procedure. Therefore, please regard the subsequent recognition procedure more as a lifeline than as the first option.

How are the grades recalculated of the courses I took abroad?

You can refer to the table for grade recalculation on the International Office website for a detailed recalculation of external exam results.