Foreign University Degree


Did you earn your university degree at a foreign university and now want to do your doctoral studies at the Faculty of Mechanical Engineering at RWTH Aachen University?

If so, you must fulfill one of the following prerequisites:


1. You have completed relevant university studies within the typical length of studies, at least eight semesters, and a scientific thesis.


a) An agreement exists between Germany and the country, in which you earned your degree, that your university degree is equatable with a German degree - or

b) The Standing Conference of the Ministers of Education and Cultural Affairs of the Länder in Germany or the German Rectors' Conference have accepted your university degree as a general prerequisite for admission to doctoral studies - or

c) There is an agreement between RWTH Aachen University and a partner university, on the basis of which your degree is considered equal to a degree from RWTH Aachen University.

Additionally, the doctoral committee may require you to complete additional coursework to prepare you for doctoral studies in engineering.


2. You have completed relevant university studies with a typical length of study of at least six semesters. After which you continued your studies in subjects relevant to your doctoral studies for four semesters to prepare for a doctorate and completed these studies with a scientific thesis. In consultation with you your doctoral supervisor then presents the content, number, and type of this proof to the doctoral committee. Particular attention should be paid to the fundamental subjects of mechanical engineering.